Monday, March 23, 2009

Movie Day

We celebrated Angie's coming home by going out to see Race to Witch Mountain. Overall we thought it was pretty good. I especially liked how they changed it all up (they call them "reimaginings" now and not remakes) to give it a global warming message. I think they even credited Al Gore as a co-writer but maybe not.

Anyway, the witch turns out to be the government. I think that has been kind of movie evolution thing. In my short lifetime the villains in movies have usually been (this, of course, doesn't count Ass't Principals who are always villains):

a) Indians (I give this a pre-number-one ranking because most cowboy movies were made before I was born except Silverado and I think by then people had moved off Indians to the nebulous "rustler")

1. Russia (think Red Dawn and Rocky 3)

2. Vietnamese people (all the war movies)

3. China (who doesn't love to hate the Chinese mafia)

4. Arabs (example: the entire TV series "24")

But nowadays the enemy is either "man" the all damaging force that paves paradise and puts up a parking lot OR the other acceptable enemy is "The U.S. Government" excluding Barak but including Joe Biden. Barak is a no-go zone for another six months or so.

Anyway, the baddies in the government plot to do damage to the sweet, innocent kids who actually are good aliens. Maybe its just too much for me since aliens used to be in the enemy category. I have a high negative association with them. But it was cool and as I watched, I can almost forget The Rock was a wrestler. Wrestlers in movies kind of give me a Cyndi Lauper vibe :-)!!

For my complete list of awesome movies that includes classics like Red Dawn (plus other Patrick Swayze greats like Roadhouse and Youngblood), Silverado, Platoon, and everything Keanu Reeves has ever done (except Speed) write your address on the back of a $20 bill and send it to me.

5 comments:

Todd Belcher said...

"The Rock" should stop changing his name and change careers! He actually has the acting ability of a SACK of rocks.

Also, that movie was guilty of another "James Bond" syndrome, which is: Of all the hundreds of people working inside a huge secret complex, why is it that not one person ever "cracks" and leaks the secret to the outside world?

Answer: It'd ruin the plot!

Aunt Re said...

I enjoyed it but agree the Global warming message was very evident. The Blond in the Rest...was the original girl in the old Disney flick...w/Eddie Albert. Todd thought it was a renter. LLL Re

piano lady said...

You all watch way too many movies. One of my all-time favorites is Pollyanna (Hayley Mills). My Dad took me to see it as a little girl, and I've since then adopted her attitude! At least I've been called by her name on more than one occasion. I recently watched Gone with the Wind (finally!). Oh, they don't make 'em like that anymore. BTW, what's wrong with Speed?

Craig and Angie said...

I thought it was the same girl so I checked wikipedia (where the truth can always be found--with so many people contributing, how could it be wrong?). And we are right that was here. And the SHERIFF is the boy from the original. All that was missing was the Shaggy DA.

Todd, I agree. All those people with guns and not ONE person can stop them? Seriously?

Speed was left off the list because it conflicts with everything else Keanu has ever done. Meaning that one was watchable. If it wasn't horrid ... it can't Keanu. That guy has the emotional range of a tomato.

Aunt Re said...

Hey Do you remember watching Speed at your old house in H? I think it was an early evening w/the Belcher's. LLL RE