Saturday, March 21, 2009

Experimentation

Its funny that since we live in SE Asia one of the foods I miss from "home" is Mexican food. At this point I should mention that I do know that the Mexican food served in KY has nothing to do with real Mexican food in the same way that Chinese food on a buffet has nothing to do with real Chinese food (this is especially true for the Mexican food that is served in mall food courts--usually by Chinese people).

One thing we cannot obtain here is salsa. "The world's fastest growing condiment" (this is silly since most of the other condiments are pretty well established ... seriously where is there for mustard to go at this point?) cannot be obtained at most stores here and if it can its a bit on the pricey side. Chips are easier to find but not as convenient as in KY and no Doritos at all most months!!

So we've tried a few times to make our own stuff. We've made a couple of batches of Tommy Jackson's salsa (which seems to be officially called Vegetable Dip according to the recipe I got from them). The first time we chopped everything and it was good. You can't buy canned green chiles here but they have these great little peppers that people buy by the kilogram and so I substituted. Caleb found the salsa too hot to eat after they were added. So we decided to share it with some neighbors.

One guy took a bite. "Is it spicy?" his mother asked. "No," he answered munching away. That is one reason I love these people.

Another thing we've tried a time of two is our own tortilla chips. Technically I am not sure how those are made. I know its not with flour tortillas like we buy (we have potato tortillas here, too). These flour ones are a bit thick, too. But we give it a go anyway. I am very skimpy with the oil. It doesn't grow on trees you know. Well, I guess palm oil does ... but anyway ...


This time we made it we used our handy dandy new little blender we got. I decided I liked the chunky variety a bit better but its still OK. Although we had to tame it down so everyone could enjoy it. I think it could use another 3 or 4 Thai chilis!

Its still great but looks worse, I guess, after being through the blender. I especially like what the black olives bring to the mix. Although some cilantro is most likely in order. It could use a bit more of a bitter taste for me (but that is because I hate smooth tasting stuff--I'm the guy at the Mexican place trying to get across the point that I don't want ANY sour cream or guacamole--YUCK! Don't even bring it my table).
The proof is in the pudding. Man, when the kids are happy everything is OK, right?!?




**Truth in advertising disclaimer: Bethany wouldn't touch this salsa with a ten-foot pole.

6 comments:

Aunt Re said...

Almost looks like chutney...but you are supposed to deep fry the tortillas...but I'm sure they were tasty too. Potato...Interesting.
Be brave B...try it. LLL Re

piano lady said...

I couldn't eat it if it was too hot, either! I'm a wimp. I admire your ingenuity, though.

Richie said...

So is it just irony that your last post involved Nacho Libre, and this one is about salsa?

Todd Belcher said...

No Doritos over there? Hmmm. I don't think we'll be able to visit any time soon.

Kynda said...

The best taco shells are made from corn tortilla shells. I'd suggest trying that if you can find the shells around there. They are very yummy!

Craig and Angie said...

A little TOO ironic, I really do think.