Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fish farming




I (Craig) got out walking around to practice language today and had one of those, "My Dad would love this" moments. Its fun to go walking and just start taking random paths and weird little side roads and see whom you can meet. I had gone way down this hill close to the river that is near our home. That is where I found these guys. They are building a kind of pond to grow fish for eating and selling.

The pictures show them moving the dirt for the new pond. Lunch break (about 3pm) when they brought out big trays of ramen noodles with 4 or 5 spoons each and the guys gathered around to eat (that didn't take long). The last is them cleaning up for the day in one of the already completed ponds. They are supposed to be ready for fish in about two weeks or so. (Forgive the photo quality they are camera phone shots).

So that is where I had my "Dad would love this" moment. I ended up meeting the leader of the place the guys were working and he takes me in. We sit together and he brings something to drink, food, more food, more drink. And there I am sitting next to some river surrounded by strangers (taking food and drink from them) with no exact idea where I was and no one else having any real idea how to find me. Watching naked kids jump off a bridge, eating strange food, hoping I won't get typhoid, sort of lost and unable to communicate any needs. "Dad would love this."

Then when its time to go (just like always on these walking adventures) we say, "I have to go home. Which way is it?" And they point the way and I started climbing and climbing and climbing. The great thing about these little sidewalks is you feel like you are just about going through someone's front room. Once today I stopped and said, "May I come through?" The answer, "Of course, just keep going up."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD, you don't look a day over 55....

1 comment:

piano lady said...

Now, that is what I call community!