Monday, November 19, 2007

I am in LOVE!

We visited a coffee place while we were at the market. This is a classic family operation since the 1930s who do their bookkeeping by hand, roast the beans slowly over rubber-tree wood, and age their beans EIGHT years before they do anything.

This is the roaster. He said it takes two hours to roast over fire, 10 minutes over gas but they don't compromise!


The store room. "First in, first out," he said. That means these bags get ROTATED. The right side of the room had bags full of year old beans, I am leaning on eight year old beans.


Some beans in various stages of the aging process.


A turn-of-the-century bean grinder from Ohio (I think).


Some random jars of beans. I put in an application for a part-time job! But haven't heard yet. I think they fear me drinking up the profits. Angie and I were both startled at the effects he promised from drinking robusta coffee. It was a typically Chinese thing to be worried about (hint: it doesn't make you rich; wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what I mean, know-what-I-mean?).

3 comments:

Aunt Re said...

I can't wait to hear about the robust coffee effects. You may not want to post this one. Wink Wink. This must be Nirvana (sp) for coffee lovers...Paradise.
Re

piano lady said...

From Ohio??? Did the place have that wonderful coffee aroma? You could just stand around and inhale, perhaps! I still think you need to run a coffee shop. Craig's Coffee Cafe - has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Love the pics and the virtual tour.

Craig and Becky said...

Thanks for the coffee history. You must have been in heaven. It makes me want a cup. Enjoy!!!! Let us know about the "effects".