Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More pictures



Here are a couple more real life shots. Monday night we went to McDonald's (again). It was an encouraging language time since everything we ordered was right. Now we didn't GET everything we ordered but we got everything we paid for. So we had to reorder. I think the people get so excited about talking with foreigners and that their English is working and our language is working and so some stuff just falls through the cracks (like our happy meal). Bethany wants her picture with Ronald everytime. Not just here, everytime we see him anywhere.



This guy is a roaming tofu noodle soup seller. He puts that thing on his shoulder and walks through the streets hitting a spoon against a bowl. If you want some you go out and order. He cooks and serves you then after you eat, he heads out again. Then he "washes" the bowl and spoon and later someone else gets it. I say "washes" because that is like a best case scenario. Don't expect to actually BE washed.

He turned his hat sideways because our flash wasn't working. Angie and I were discussing it and he decided his cap being turned would help, I guess. One thing about this "real life" shot is that I have never eaten from one of these guys. Our landlord walked by as we were doing this and he explained to me what the man was selling. It helped me use the one pun I know. "Tofu" and "know" are the same word. So I could say, "I know tofu" and it be like saying, "I tofu tofu" or "I know know." Everyone laughed...because I am a dumb foreigner, I think.

We have people selling stuff like this all day. They walk by hitting some thing or ringing a bell or whatever. Every salesman has his own sound. Tofu, meat on a stick, shoe repair, bananas, toys, cotton candy, ice cream. Even a guy who comes at 5:30 am YES! 5:30 AM and outside our window that doesn't close he yells, "BREAD!" Some of those guys are so burdened down the stick is just bowed. We'll try to get a shot like that some time if one gets close enough to ask like the tofu guy!

6 comments:

Craig and Becky said...

If I remember correctly doesn't "tofu" mean FAKE? So, tofu noodle soup would be "FAKE" noodles. I can only imagine. And, his washing things up after someone uses them is kind of scary. He probably uses just water for the cleaning. Interesting. I do like that the salesmen come right into your neighborhood.You'd never have to leave your house. How awesome. Love you guys. Thanks for all the pictures.

Richie said...

Well done on the language progression. Keep on keepin' on. It's good to see you mingling with the native folks. Sounds like you have lots of opportunities to talk with those around you. I love the blogs!

Aunt Re said...

Great job...love the pics...love seeing your smiling faces. I'll email more later...Jonathon B sat up in bed ate jello!!!! PTL

piano lady said...

Sounds like the language is coming along. Hang in there. I love seeing the pictures of the people! How do McD prices compare?

2 Girls In So Cal said...

Glad all is well, Melissa wants to know is the school really different?

Craig and Angie said...

For the most part if you do stuff you can do in the States it is the same price or a bit more expensive. So we can spend around $15 at McDonalds. Close to a week's salary for lots of people. Last night we ate at Popeye's Chicken and it was $15.

The school is like school but it harder than Glasgow. Probably like a private school, anywhere. They have chapel, language, Bible, PE, music, art, and all the normal stuff. Most teachers are Americans.

We pay for lunches a month at a time but lots of kids have special food delivered like Korean or even McDonalds. Some folks bring theirs.

The 4-6 grades just finished basketball. Soccer league starts soon and they have a swimming team in the "Spring" when its still the same temperature as now.