Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Next Time We Hire a Guy

Before we left for KY last fall, I promised Angie we would paint the bedrooms when we came back. Last week, in the midst of all my complaining about it, I explained if something happened to Angie I would likely never paint a room again in my lifetime. Its just not my thing.

I suppose it looks fine when its done but I don't find myself feeling more "settled" or "at home" simply because a room has been repainted. The room having a TV or wireless internet is much more important to me.

So, keeping good on my promise (even though admittedly I was being a real jerk about it) we got started painting. In the beginning things went pretty well (except for the part where I was complaining and being a jerk).
Not too long after this picture was taken, Angie and I swapped jobs and I started doing the trim work and not rolling.
To give you an accurate idea of what you shouldn't do, I was on this five-step ladder ... standing on the very top with my head pushing into the 10 foot ceiling and painting the trim. On one trip down to move the ladder, everything sort went went a little crazy. Turns out the leg had buckled and down I went with my right side crashing onto the ladder leg.
After a few moments of me trying to stand, then rolling around, and yelling I finally settled down. Angie and Caleb got me a pillow and some ice while we tried to assess the damage. We determined it was bad enough that I couldn't stand and needed real help. We were headed to the ER.
My family lovingly jumped into action doing some important things (like smoothing out the walls where I spilled all the paint, cleaning the green paint of Bethany's white bed, and making pictures of me in agony). This is me being loaded into the car so Angie and Anthony can take me to the ER.
We got quick care and after some ginger poking, an attempt at cleaning, some x-rays, and a shot we were ready to head back home. Five days later I am regaining some mobility and can actually get out of a chair with little to no assistance now.

Now I'm not a person who believes in karma but if I had it to do over again, I would actually just paint and not complain so much. I would definitely not say, "I will get this room painted today if it kills me." Because it just might.

3 comments:

Brad, Sara, Elijah, Anna and Jacob said...

I know that this is not supposed to be funny and I really am glad that you are okay...but, I would have loved to see all the people in the ER staring at the white guy covered in green paint! :) :)

Sandie said...

I'm so sorry you got hurt!!!! I'll be praying for your quick recovery.

Anthony and Sharon said...

I wish I would have known you were doing all this blogging...then I would have emailed you the pic Angie took of the green paint on your TEETH with my camera.
The Incredible Hulk...or his blotchy cousin who only turns partly green when he gets worked up over having to paint a room.
Glad the guy you hired did a good job on B and H's room!