Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ramadan Markets

Night markets are back open to help people break their fasts. We hit one tonight and among the load of goodies we brought back was this for Craig: blue rice! It gets the color from being cooked with some flower (which would make an interesting post but would for sure get me in trouble).

The dish is served with bean sprouts and the saltiest egg ever. It had a lot of other random things thrown in as well like fish crackers, a pepper, and some onions. Its a definite treat during this time of year.

1 comment:

Anthony and Sharon said...

I'm lost on the flower joke. And I thought the blue rice was just blue? no? Tanya made some once for us- it wasn't THAT blue, but it was pretty blue!
I LOVE the salty eggs (you know they're made with charcoal right? THAT would be a good post if you haven't already)... with a bit of egg and some yummy rice... perfect meal! I get WAAAAAAAAY too much sri muka at the ramadan markets...and I definitely eat it on the way home before sunset but before we pull into the driveway so our neighbors don't see me. I can't resist!

My goodness you've managed to make me homesick again. I'm gonna fast from your blog til we get back... this is getting ridiculous.