Thursday, March 11, 2010

Movie Review

For some reason we are a week behind most of the world and just had our premier of Alice in Wonderland today. All in all we thought it was OK. We had intended not to see it since the adults have always thought it a pretty weird story and no one in the family has ever actually made it all the way through even the Disney cartoon version. Also its a Tim Burton movie, which is a turn-off for us, too, normally as he just makes weird films (i.e. We still don't know why Edward had scissors for hands ... we never watched that far).

So, at any rate, we thought it a pretty decent film and not as weird as we feared. There was a dragon-sort of creature but as the Belchers said, "No where near as bad as what we saw in Percy Jackson last month." And at least this movie doesn't have Pierce Brosnan (I've given up on him after Mamma Mia, Remington Steele is lost to me forever!)

Well, back to Alice, it was decent ... even if Caleb left saying, "I don't get it." That is mainly due to his parents lack of interest in the story as a general rule. So the grand question: Should you see it?? If:
  • You are a movie person (and you know this time of the year is a horrible time for movies)
  • You don't expect too, too much
  • You can catch it pretty cheap (our tickets were $3.50)
  • Homeschool knocks off early
  • You are proud that Johnny Depp is a Kentuckian, even if he goes around acting like he is from France
Then you could probably do worse things with your time. Here is a more spiritual review of the movie and a ton of other reviews. Just don't listen to Ben Lyons even if he agrees with me, he is still a dweeb.

**If you are keeping track I was able to put 15 links into this post. Trying to see how many I could put in was probably more the point than the movie. Johnny Deep does slide a bit into Jack Sparrow (16!) at times, though. Now, though, I am tired and don't feel like chasing down any more links.

Some of them I did not read and so if you follow the link and find a cuss word, don't blame me. Also, many of them are on wikipedia and so they may not be true. But Johnny Deep IS from KY and he may want to act like he's not but he is and not in some wanna-be way like Tom Cruise (17) who just passed through and went to St. X (18) and maybe that is just one more knock on ole Tom.

Alright, I believe I have proven my point. On the internet a person can waste a lot of time...

3 comments:

Aunt Re said...

If Caleb needs explanation I am available for commentary. I loved the book as a child, the cartoon version also...so I am biased...also because I am Disney Fan, and Johnny Depp, Helen Bronham Carter, & Ann Hathaway. I on the other hand had to pay $18.50 for 3D tickets and $7.75 for our concessions. I should have watched it w/you guys. LLL Re

piano lady said...

It doesn't appeal to me, I agree about Tim Burton. I'll just watch Pollyanna again on my dvd. Now that's a great story!

Anthony and Sharon said...

Tom Cruise went to St.X? Not for the football program though, eh?