Monday, November 23, 2009

Puzzle Mania

I think you can count on one hand the number of times I have ventured to put a puzzle together in my adult life. Hudson and Bethany like them and so we do them sometimes but its not very often. During our mountain time with no satellite TV we tried our hand at one.
To our great surprise and amazement, we found this puzzle to have a very special feature: numbers on the back! So we worked on the colored side for a while and then decided to try to work the other side. We put all the R's together. R1, R2, R3, etc. Whew. It was hard work. Then we got all the pieces lined up and finished the deal. Believe me, it was harder than it seems.
As you can see sometimes we faced the difficulty of one of the numbers being cut off. Ouch! But we worked through it. We figured out "something21" fit nicely with "I2something". Tenacity paid off and eventually we were rewarded with a dazzling picture of Snow White and her little guys.
For some reason, Ann had the notion that this was somehow "cheating" and she seems to be of the opinion that whatever a person endeavors to do, you should do in the most difficult way possible. The goal is to put the puzzle together, not to fail. Which is what she did--put her half-finished puzzle back in the box. While we "cheaters" were immortalizing our names on the back of ours.

2 comments:

piano lady said...

Some maintain that it is cheating to even look at the picture on the box as you work, but I believe it is there as a guide! After all, it's supposed to be fun, not work!

Anthony and Sharon said...

So what does Ann call "carrying the one" in long division? Cheating or a proper technique?

Why would the puzzle company go through so much trouble to help out cheaters? They wouldn't. Everyone knows puzzle makers wouldn't do something like that...it goes against their very puzzling nature.

...next time I'm there, I'm totally doing that puzzle and writing my name on the back too. I can't not do it now.