Monday, November 16, 2009

10 Things Better About Being 39 Than 29

I know many people sit around wringing their hands about getting older. I've got 10 things (but could do more) that are much better now than 10 years ago:

10. Gray hair. Sure at 29 there was some gray at my temples, now its migrated to my chin. And my mustache, bangs, eyelashes, and everywhere else. In a place more relationally-oriented you're still a kid if you don't have any gray hair ... and no one cares what kids think.

9. Off Days. As you get older I think on your off days, you take off. That is pretty cool. I didn't appreciate relaxing nearly as much 10 years ago.

8. Cheaper insurance. At least for driving, if not your life.

7. Laughter. You get to laugh at stuff you used to think was so important and how smart you used to be. And know you'll be doing the same in 10 more years about how you are now.

6. Sleep. I didn't appreciate sleep then like I do now.

5. Coolness loses its luster. As I watch so many people still being dragged around by what clothes they see on TV, its nice to get enough perspective to know if you buy those wrinkly-looking jeans, you'll look like an idiot in six months.

4. I'm still alive. The alternative to not being 10 years older is not being around.

3. Only very old people call you "young man" and that is rare. Any sentence that starts with "young man" usually doesn't end with how valuable and smart you are. Also, not so many people look at you and say, "I used to think that too, when I was your age." It still happens but when it does, it comes from a person so old you know that they know what they're talking about and you should just shut up and listen.

2. Kids. At 29, I only had one. Plus at 39 everyone can put on their own clothes and take care of their own bathroom business!

1. My wife. She is so much sexier and more interesting now than she was at 29. I just love her so much more. Sometimes I see these old guys with young girls and I wonder what they talk about: her college classes? Lost? What Britney's new album is called? What an album was?

I can barley tolerate conversations I have to overhear sometimes, I cannot imagine having to sit every day with some kid talking about who their favorite character was on Saved By the Bell or Melrose Place. I love seeing some gray hair on her. Can growing older together get any better? Man, I hope so!!!

5 comments:

Richie said...

At 29, I can say that I can relate to some of what you said here. The rest I look forward to when I am 39. You almost make me wish I was the older brother. Almost. ;)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Craig! Hope it is great! We love you guys!

Mike, Tammy, Katie & Leah

piano lady said...

Happy birthday, precious brother! I agree with your insight. And growing older DOES have its advantages. Hopefully, with age comes maturity, and even wisdom! Have a great day, we love you!

Craig and Becky said...

Happy Birthday Craig!! What a great blog this morning. Growing older does have advantages. You make them what they are. Have a truly great day. We love and miss your smiling face!!!

Aunt Re said...

Happy Birthday, It was good to hear your voice last night. We added more $ to skype so we can call more. Today I road 1.6 miles on a stationary bike, and survived, something to look forward to young man. I can say that I am your elder. Love you guys! Re