Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ouch! You Know Me Too Well...

Folks around here have this thing about being out late.  One night last week after everyone except me had gone to sleep Angie heard an odd sound.  I was awake, reading, but paid it no attention.  A couple of things have been well-documented about us: 1)  we like to go to bed early and 2) Craig doesn't get up to check out odd/scary noises.

So ... anyway ... Angie was sleeping and Craig was reading when the noise happened.  Angie says, "Is that someone at the gate?"  (**important note, we have a metal gate but no bell, so when people come by they will tap on the gate with a coin or the padlock hanging on it**)

"No, it's some kind of bird," Craig responds.

Tap, tap, tap.  Ouch!  Its a tapping at the gate and Craig is wrong again.

So I jump up to look out, switching off the light first.  It IS the gate and outside is a guy we met recently.  At this point its REALLY late (i.e. 9:40pm) and so I stand there debating with myself when Angie says, "He saw the light go out.  You have to go to the gate."  I did and immediately accepted an invitation to go out and drank tea, staying out until almost 11:30.  

A few days later we ran into the same guy who said something along the lines of, "Blahblahblahblaheatsomethingblahblahblahtonight."  Now I have this bad habit when I don't know what someone is talking about.  I just say the last word they say and then they go on talking.  So I say, "Tonight." And then he kind of says, "OK, see you tonight."

Zoinks!  To what did I just agree?!?  Turns out nothing since he never showed up.

Sunday morning, we see him again.  He asked about getting together tonight and drinking some tea.  Since I'm trying to break bad habits, I didn't say "Tea," and wait for him.  Instead I said, "Oh OK, call me."  Then he goes on talking and I say that he should send me a text message and maybe we could meet.  Again trying to be noncommittal.  That was when he got me.

He says, "No way because if I call you you'll say you can't go but if I just show up at the gate, you'll go with me."  We all just burst out laughing since he is absolutely right!!  

Now the plan is to go out and drink tea some time long after nightfall.  Its funny what a little shame can do for you!!

3 comments:

piano lady said...

Oh, the things we hide behind! Does the tea keep you awake?

Richie said...

hahaha even Asians can predict what Craig will do hahaha

Mom said...

This blog is clearing up a lot of confusion left over from when you were a child. Also helps us know your secrets. Look out buddy we have your number now!!!