Friday, December 26, 2008

A Vow Broken

Where we live we have KFC, Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, and of course, McDonalds.  So when we were planning our trip to KY, I promised not to eat once at McDonalds.  Then today we needed to return a Christmas gift in what I always considered a pretentious part of town.  Being there I knew we'd be able to find a nice bagel place.  Or an a muffin place.  Or even a Chik-Fil-A.  But not a one was to be found--even after 30 minutes of searching.

This was how I found myself at McDonalds this morning.  I did at least try to do something different, getting the breakfast burrito and remembering why I made my vow.  Then I tried to make it better by opening it and eating all the guts out with my bare hands like I would at home.  No help at all.  I still tasted like a McDonalds burrito (possibly the lowest point in burritodom, lower even than frozen ones I would cook in the microwave as a teenager).

I wonder a few things about people around here after spending over a year in Asia.  Like why we have never adopted the habit of eating rice for breakfast.  I mean people in Georgia eat pig intestines and lots of folks eat nasty stuff like grits and hominy.  Can't we get some rice around here before lunchtime?  

Also I wonder how people live when its so cold.  I guess they make it in KY because they know the weather will always change soon.  Sunday we had single-digit temps here.  Tomorrow, less than a week later, its forecast to be in the 70s.  That is seriously crazy.

2 comments:

piano lady said...

Did you put salsa on the burrito? McD's are better than Sonic's. I love them, actually! But I have been exposed to limited cuisine. I like rice for breakfast, if it has butter and sugar! I'm hopeless, I guess!

Richie Rice said...

We do in rice for breakfast in America-Rice Krispies!