Monday, December 1, 2008

Creepy Crawlies

While we were in the mountains we went to a "butterfly" farm.  Which was short on butterflies but long on creepy stuff and things one can use to make various narcotics (according to our guide anyway).  Here are some highlights...
Talking a little car insurance...
This millipede was very weird feeling.  Tight on my wrist and when it started wriggling could induce a rather crazy outburst from a lesser man.  But not me!!
The stick bug.  Lucky he evolved this way.  The first few were red and easily spotted by birds.
This snake was a favorite.
The scorpion.  This was just before I started yelling, "Get it off me!!  Get it off me!!  Get it off me!!" like a little girl.  Well, not really yelling it ... but thinking it.  I was quite cool on the exterior.
Caleb worked up to holding this snake and was feeling quite brave by the time we were finished.  You'll notice the absence of two of our children, who though there refused to even hold a butterfly.  But not because the guide didn't try to "encourage" them.

2 comments:

Richie said...

Very cool! Way to go Caleb! I'm not sure I could hold a snake.

piano lady said...

You are all so brave - especially Angie!