Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gone a Long Time

"You go to UK?"  the man asked me.  

"Uh, no.  We've been to such-and-such a country."  

"No.  To the University of KY," the man says pointing at my shirt.  "I'm a UK grad."

Which makes me think ... we've been gone a long time.  You see in our context UK is "THE UK" as in The United Kingdom not as in THE University of Kentucky.  
So here I am in my wildcat shirt in Korea and a UK grad is asking me how the new coach is going to do this year.  

And I am thinking that I don't even know what the new coach's name is and haven't watched a UK game in about three years.  I am glad we go through Immigration in Chicago since if someone read this about me not knowing the UK basketball coach's name, I could be denied entry into the country if Immigration was in Fountain Run or something.


The airport has Dunkin Donuts, too. We have these in our town, too, but we never go there. Here they have great CHristmas theme donuts. So we got to have a unique cultural moment. We were speaking English to the Korean girl behind the counter while listening to Feliz Navidad on their little radio. How great is that? Thats global, baby.

1 comment:

piano lady said...

I love it! Can't wait to see you guys. I know you will be worn out, but thanks for making the effort to share yourselves with us.