Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Drink in a Bag

I have to be honest.  I am a HUGE fan of the drink in a bag.  I am not exactly sure why because a cup is a little easier to deal with but there is something about ordering a drink to go and them putting it in a plastic bag that appeals to my cowboy side I guess.  Seems like the kind of thing they would do in Dodge.  You know, order a sasparilla to go and they put in a plastic bag and you get back on your horse and get out of there.  Well ... maybe not.

At any rate, Angie has taken the drink in a bag to a new level: MEAL IN A BAG.  Lots of special foods make their appearance this time of year including lots of drinks.  At the afternoon "food carnival" the other day Angie was offered a special drink, which she purchased for just under $1.

When we got it home we had a big sip and immediately spit it into the sink.  It came with a huge straw that allowed a ton of food to come up and into your mouth.  EEWWWW!

It was sweet, brown and had lots of rice and stuff in it.  The ice had all melted while we waited for 7:15pm to drink it.  Being pretty grossed out by it, we decided to investigate further what made it so bad.
Here are the basic parts: liquid and solids.  People are strange, aren't they?  Someone thought this up and someone else liked it enough for it to become popular.

Here is how I think it happened.  Someone took the delicious New Orleans dish 'red beans and rice' and started brainstorming.  Now obviously this was a single guy or group of single guys.  The conversation probably went like this Guy One says, "I love you guys.  You're my best friends." 

Guy Two responds, "Dude, we love you. You da best."  Then Guy Three chimes in, "You know what would be awesome?  Red beans and rice!  I'm starving."  The guy two goes, "No, no, no, no seriously.  You know what would be over the top? If you could DRINK red beans and rice! Oh man, that'd be the best."

Now I know you're wondering why these guys have to be SINGLE.  Elementary my dear Watson.  Had even one woman been present she would've chimed in, "You guys are so stupid. That would be the most disgusting drink ever.  I think you need to stop drinking altogether."

Most of the world's great calamities have been avoided by having someone's wife say, "Do you think that is a good idea?"  The things that have happened did so because no lady was there to add reason to the mix.  At least that is what my Mom always said.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

HAAAAAAAA!! I would have to add a hearty AMEN to that post!

That looks absolutely discusting. i'm not a fan of chunks in my drinks! eeeewwwwwww!

piano lady said...

That is gross! And I agree with your Mom.

Richie said...

Yet another reason why "it is not good for man to be alone." My single friends & I've never had any conversations remotely similar to the one described here, though. Coincidentally, you could buy bags of water at little stores in Honduras. I did not spit into the sink. It was very refreshing.

Aunt Re said...

This brings new meaning to the
Convenience Foods....I'm not to sure about the bags though...I like take out boxes.
The Queen of Convenience...RE

JustinB said...

Does it come in an I.V.? Now that would be convienient -- a bit painful maybe.