Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I'm an Addict (or Broken-Hearted with no Internet)

Our internet at home has been out the past two days. One thing that it makes me realize is that I'm addicted to the internet. We came out to a restaurant with wi-fi for supper and can't say we really missed any critical e-mails or anything. Its just that you know you can't check. Lame I guess.

It has shown me, too, that just because I know the rules in our culture about expressing displeasure and confrontation it doesn't mean I always follow them. I've let more than a few uncomfortable people have it over the past two days after they suggested I just wait 'til tomorrow and maybe it will start working on its own.

I did try to explain to Caleb this is not a symptom of living in a foreign country. I have gotten exactly the same reaction from utility workers here that I would've gotten in KY (with the exception of Craig Medford, of course). They just sort of shrug and say, "Sorry" with no feeling. I'd threaten to take my business elsewhere but just like the US the girl behind the counter couldn't care less if I buy phone and internet service from them.

So, for the time being we're disconnected. But at least I can still text Twitter updates ;-)

No comments: