Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tattoo

One thing a person can get in Borneo that you can't just find anywhere is an original hand-tapped tribal tattoo. Bob liked the idea and so we grabbed a cab and headed to the tattoo parlor to see Pip (pronounced "Peep" not like it rhymes with tip).

Pip is the guy with the sticks and the awesome earlobes. He takes these two sticks, sticks a needle in one and uses the other to tap-tap-tap the ink into your body. I counted a few times and figure in the two hours it took to complete the tattoo he must've tapped around 25,000 times!! Bob took all that tapping like a trooper and said it was less painful than a normal, machine tattoo.
Here he is hammering away.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a thousand winces. Bob was able to lay there still the whole time with Pip just having one short smoke break. I don't think I have been that still for two hours my whole life. I even keep moving in my sleep...


A look at the finished project. The longest lasting souvenir ever. Maybe when you come out (and you are WAY over 18) you might want to look into getting an Iban tattoo.

2 comments:

piano lady said...

Ouch! It still amazes me that anyone would voluntarily let someone stick needles repeatedly in them - my oldest son has done so numerous times. And it took 4 people to give him a shot when he was a kid!

Aunt Re said...

Did I hear Daughtry in the background? Nice Tat!