Thursday, July 2, 2009

Gone Too Far?!?

During our time in Bali I was able to get my hands on some Kopi Luwak what some people call 'monkey poo coffee'. That is somewhat of a misnomer, though, since its actually pooed out by a civet and not a monkey. For a full run-down you can check out here.

But basically a civet likes to eat coffee berries (if you don't know coffee beans are seeds inside berries from a coffee tree I don't think I can help you). Anyway the beans are not fully digested as they pass through the deep, dark insides of the civet. They are ... um ... passed out, harvested from piles of poo, and sold for big bucks to people sort of like me. I say "sort of" because I only paid $7 for half a pound. Nowhere near the $100-600 a pound quoted on WIKI. Angie says the whole idea is more than a little gross and that maybe I have gone a bit far drinking something that has been inside an animal's digestive system*.

Tomorrow I plan to make my first cup with my french press. I'll let you know if it tastes more like fancy coffee or *ahem* the other stuff after breakfast.

*In response I point to the entire state of Georgia that eats the actual digestive system and not just stuff that passes through it.

3 comments:

radio girl said...

I think you have lost it. The sun has taken its toll on you. I would say I hope you enjoy the coffee but not sure that is the correct thing to say. Glad you made it home and hope that the girls are feeling better.

piano lady said...

I think maybe you HAVE gone too far! I'm with Angie - that is more than a little gross!

Unknown said...

CODY TALKS ABOUT THIS COFFEE ALL THE TIME!!!! We saw Andrew Zimmer on the Travel Channel drink this stuff...more power to you, Craig! :) You're like our own personal Andrew Zimmer!