Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hey! There's a TOILET!

It's funny sometimes the things we take for granted without realizing it.  I, for one, have always taken the commode for granted.  I spent all my bathroom wondering time on the incomprehensible question of why McDonald's consistently has the dirtiest restrooms in the men's world.  Now its not McDonald's fault, because after cleaning there only needs to be one visitor before its a mess again.  I guess its a commentary on McDonald's clientele (you know who you are).

I have taken other restroom stuff for granted--like paper.  And wondered why some people would find it necessary to urinate on the roll or to throw the whole roll into the bowl.  "Where do these guys come from?" is usually what I think.  

But when you live in a place where there usually aren't commodes (or that you are as likely to find a "squatty" as a commode) you really start to appreciate these marvels.  Commentaries on restaurants here don't fall into the "star" categories.  Reviews from friends are like this, "It was good.  Cheap.  They have a great restroom with a toilet and they even have paper towels."  Paper towels?!?  That is too much to ask normally.  A restaurant is worth visiting just to dry your hands.

I was reminded of how much I take for granted when one day upon entering a restaurant restroom, Hudson cried, "Hey! There's a TOILET!"  What great news.  I think my nieces probably don't appreciate that kind of thing.  I know I wouldn't have at their ages.

I needed to experience one place in India where I literally had to hold my breath to be in there. I needed to experience always carrying my own "soft" (paper) in Ethiopia.  I needed to experience how those toilets at O'Hare airport have a revolving plastic cover that is always so fresh.  All those experiences help me realize the toilets at rest areas aren't that bad after all and I can laugh at people who exit refusing to go because its "SO DIRTY!"

Maybe Hudson's is a commentary about not expecting too much then being satisfied with what you get.  Its much easier to complain than to take what you get isn't it?




4 comments:

piano lady said...

We are spoiled, are we not?

Aunt Re said...

I am truly thankful, we are blessed. Makes you appreciated those little Blue Buildings more that I won't go in. LLL RE

Tiffany said...

I used to be one of those people that "wouldn't go in" too many public restrooms (most notable the ones in any WalMart.

Now, having seen and smelled what I've seen and smelled ..... i will probably go in most any kind of bathroom in the US.

Aunt Re said...

I see it's me and the Booth's on line this Morning...Good morning World! Have a good nights sleep...
Love ya Re