Sunday, May 11, 2008

What is your hobby?

If you have ever been around a person who is learning English, you have probably heard the question, "What is your hobby?"  Every time I hear it strikes me as odd.  A hobby?  Uhmm .... a hobby?  I don't really think I've got one.  The problem with that is that its not one of the answers a person expects.  

If they say, "How are you?"  You MUST say, "Fine."  Nothing else will do.  Not "Great, thanks!" Not, "Awesome."  Anything except the word "Fine" and you're going to get a weird look in return. 

When they ask about your hobby you have some latitude: soccer, chess, stalking celebrities.  You just have to have one.  Which brings me to my new hobby.  Reading English language T-shirts.  I love it.  Sometimes they are so good I'll go across the store to get Angie so she can read it too.  

I guess I'll have to start making photos because they are SO FUNNY but I can never remember them when I get home.  Finally I broke down and bought some shirts tonight for $3.50. The problem was that after finally finding some XL shirts I realize they are Asian XL which means they are for a person who weighs 140 and not 180 (he said optimistically).

So Caleb has inherited the new shirts but at least you can get a feel for my hobby:


Green Light is a brand name.  The slogan "Loud Than Anywear" is why I bought the shirt.  The slogans on shirts are just SO close that they are hilariously wrong.  As a language student and full-time person who goes around maiming innocent words, its nice to look at a sign like the CLOSE sign hanging on Tony Roma's and laugh at someone besides myself for a change. (I mean what does that sign mean?  Am I CLOSE to the restaurant?  Am I supposed to CLOSE the door? No, its for after hours when they are CLOSED!)

So anyway, now you know my hobby.  Transferring my aggression--I mean, T-shirt reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uuummm, would that be like when you are actually in the United States, and there is a broken horse at the Kroger, so the worker posts the all helpful "BROKE" sign. I am pretty sure that all the money we have put into those machines over the years, these people are really not that "BROKE"

The Sojourner said...

Here is a good one for you! On the most beautiful place here, the boardwalk right on the water, there is a huge sign that takes up half a city block. The sign is well done with great photo quality and was obviously very expensive. The bummer is that it says: "Things aren't changing. THE only becoming better." I wonder what happened to the person doing the lettering on that sign? That's a bummer of a mistake to make! And yet the sign stays up!