Monday, January 2, 2012

I Should've Known

It was a rookie mistake for sure.  Should've known better.  We left Kentucky with a couple of smoked sausages.  One we ate and one we saved.  For a special occasion.  Really special.  Like Christmas.

So there I was on Christmas morning, presents all opened and we are ready for a special breakfast.  That is when I went to break out that sausage and found this.
Mold!  Can you believe that?  It was moldy?  In the fridge and it was moldy!  Now it was, it turns out, a couple of months out of date but still.

This made me ask two important questions of myself.  First, what in the world do I think goes into those sausages that they sit at room temperature at Wal-Mart and then I carry it to the tropics and expect it to last forever.  Secondly, when in the world was this particular sausage processed?  Because we all know they should last eternally.  How in the world did this thing go bad?

Full disclosure:  I really did think about throwing way the moldy end and frying the rest but thought better of it.

What I learned:  Check the expiration dates.  That is why we had those cheddar biscuits at lunch today, they went out on Dec 31st!!

No comments: