Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Internet Tak Ada

So we scheduled for our internet to be cut off on Oct 31st before we move but they got on the ball and cut it for us on Oct 11th.

After talking to 10 people on the phone it was determined the local boss would call me. When she didn't I determined it was time for me to go in and wait them out. After I arrived the lady at the desk said something closely related to, "Oh, its you. Wait for a while." ("Wait for a while" is the local equivalent of "hang on a sec.")

So the boss met me and explained it was totally their fault, they ignored my application for cancellation and cut the service too soon. Then she explained that I could have my internet reconnected but now the policy is that internet connection requires a one-year contract.

I tried around 15 times to convince her that I didn't need a new contract but only wanted to have my old contract back. She was unmoved and explained that "in America" you can probably do something like that but here "there is a process."

Isn't that awesome? A process. It is nice to see how things like utilities are the same world-wide. Pay your deposit immediately--get your refund "in up to three months." Apply for service wait a week. Cancellation? "Today also can do!"

So, its a nice cultural learning time and gets me out of the house more. But I look like these other dorks who sit for hours playing Farmville on Facebook. Not too proud of that.

No comments: