Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Swings

Last month, inspired by a local friend, Angie bought a swing from IKEA. Hanging the swing fell to me. One thing Angie knows about her man is that its hard to actually get him to do some stuff. Especially like home-fix-it projects.

So at some point (OK it was January 25th) she started trying to make me feel guilty about the swing we still had in package. It worked, I suppose, as pretty soon (i.e. January 30th) I actually got to work on the project.
So I had to dig out the drill and all sorts of stuff yang saya jarang pakai ("that I rarely use") like a tape measure and the hammer I bent really bad by using it as a crowbar one day. One thing I hate about IKEA worldwide appeal is that you get two books with your purchase: a 20 page warning booklet in 20-odd languages and an picture instruction book in no language but with lots of arrows.
Look at this awesome face as I hammer-drill. Wait ... not just hammer-drill. I am hammer-drilling overhead! Whew sakit (I was really sore later)!
The tension was building after only a few minutes of work.
Finally it was up and the heaviest person gave it a test
Then a test flight. So far its been a huge success (i.e. people use it and the screws have not fallen out and dropped a kid to the ground).
Due to its popularity, a second swing was added as a compliment to the first. For this one I had to go into IKEA alone and buy the swing. Plus I brought it home and had it hung THE NEXT DAY! What a Dad!!
This one has also not fallen. Yet.

10 comments:

piano lady said...

You poor baby! I thought it was going to be a porch swing, like 2 or 3 seater! That was easy!!

Chris Houchens said...

get any lingonberry or meatballs while you were in the IKEA?

Richie said...

Do you see the irony in the sentence, "Hanging the swing fell to me?" Hahaha!

Richie said...

Do you see the irony in the sentence, "Hanging the swing fell to me?" Hahaha!

Craig and Angie said...

Yes also had I said, "Hanging, the swing fell to me." It would seem that I should be relieved. :-)

Craig and Angie said...

Of all the places I don't like in IKEA, the meatball section is the one I don't like the most. I do like cranberries, though, and they are rare here.

Andi said...

I am taking notes on Angie's motivational techniques! That calendar thing is fantastic.

Anthony and Sharon said...

Ok, I enjoyed this post a lot. One because I now no longer have to be jealous that you guys get to live there, because I do too.
second- I am in TOTAL admiration of the hanging job you did. The fact that it takes about 2.5 hours to get 2 pictures up on the wall, it's pretty impressive. Concrete is unforgiving.
third- Bethany's face as you're testing the swing. Such tension. And I mean on the ropes and on her face.
fourth- where'd you get your drill?

Craig and Angie said...

Concrete can indeed be a bear. The new swing has one bolt not tightened because the drill went crooked enough that the bolt would not drop through the hole. So I just hit it (and the house) with my bent-hammer a lot and it turns out that if you don't look at it, you'd never know.

The hammering drill was purchased by Jim E while he was here hanging everything for us in 2008. He trusted me enough to leave it with me. I'm forgetful now and believe it came from Tesco but could have come from that Ace Hardware in IKANO POWER Center. I love that they capitalize all of POWER--very Chinese. It should be called the "IKANO Golden Lucky Prosperity POWER Center" but they didn't ask me.

Anthony and Sharon said...

Ok, so I just randomly decided to check and see if you commented back (guess I should do that suscribing thing where it lets me know when other comments are made...fb does it automatically)
I TOTALLY agree with the new IKANO POWER center name. It's very auspicious.
Also, I'm already making plans to borrow the drill. The electric part is what really gets the HGTV juices flowin'. I mean, when I don't have to wait for my husband to get out the converter so we can charge the battery, it just opens up worlds. Worlds of decoration!